Starting a virtual assistant business is a ton of fun, and it can also be a challenge.
Whether you’re just starting out or if you’ve been in business for awhile, one of the best ways to get excited about your business when you’re feeling overwhelmed, scared, or unmotivated is to connect with your WHY.
Staying connected to your Why will keep you focused, centered, and help you move your business forward. Especially on those days when you lack motivation or feel frustrated.
Your WHY is the whole reason why you’re taking this journey. It’s what gets you up in the morning and gets you excited and giddy. It’s what you daydream about and wish for.
I’ll share my Why as an example.
Right before becoming a VA, I was working as an office manager at my family’s business. I enjoyed the data entry part of my job, but I hated answering the phones, dealing with cranky customers, and having to work at a desk. I disliked being there at a certain time each day and couldn’t wait till I could work from home, in my jammies, from my couch, bed or maybe a desk (honestly, I hardly ever work from a desk).
I wanted to set my own hours, choose who I worked with, and offer the services I wanted to. Getting paid for all of it is just icing on the cake!
I’m also an introvert (like a lot of virtual assistants) and prefer to mainly work alone. I’m able to reserve my energy instead of spending it on talking to lots of people and I’m happier because of it.
Another thing I enjoy about being an entrepreneur is running my own business. I really love blogging, learning new skills, and tinkering around with my website. Those types of tasks really light me up.
I love that I get to turn my passions for design and helping people into my dream business. And I do it all next to my cuddly, snuggly doggies.
In a nutshell, my Why is that I get to:
- set my own hours (I can do laundry, run errands, and eat whenever I want)
- choose who I work with
- offer the services I want to
- work alone
- work in my jammies, on the couch, with my puppy dogs
- do work that I’m passionate about and help people at the same time
- be my own boss
- blog, create ebooks, learn new skills, and tinker around with my website
- make money
Read why I started my virtual assistant business and why it's important to know your WHY Click To Tweet
WHAT’S YOUR WHY? WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE A VIRTUAL ASSISTANT?
Do you want to be a VA so you can set your own hours and work wherever you want? So you can work from home and spend more time with your family, or so that you can work from anywhere and travel the world?
Maybe you want a job where you don’t have to wear pantyhose (it’s a common reason among VAs, you know).
Whatever the reasons, I want you to write them down and keep them where you can see them. Looking at your BIG Why consistently will keep it front and center in your mind, ready to give you a powerful boost whenever you need it. Put it on your mirror, in your journal, in your purse, wherever you’ll see it often.
Here’s some questions to get you started:
- Do you have kids, a spouse, or animals that you want to stay at home with?
- Do you want to work days and times that you want to?
- Do you want to wear (or not wear) whatever you want?
- Do you want to work from wherever you want? Whether it be the couch, coffee shop, or Tahiti?
- Do you want to be your own boss?
- Do you want to feel satisfaction from helping people and being of service?
- Do you want to do work that lights you up?
- Do you want to set your own rates and make good money?
I’d love to hear your Why! There’s nothing more inspiring or motivating than reading other people’s whys. Do me a favor and share yours in the comments.