One of the most important steps in your client intake process is sending a contract that outlines your policies, what your service includes, and anything else that you need to communicate to your client.
Not only do contracts help you in case of a legal situation, but they’re also great for letting your client know what to expect. I prefer to state my business policies in contracts instead of sending a welcome packet because clients are much more likely to read a contract. That way, my clients know what’s going on and I only have to create one document instead of creating a contract AND a packet.
HOW TO CREATE & SEND CONTRACTS TO YOUR CLIENTS
Step 1: Write your contract
- Create your contract in Pages, Word, or a Google Doc
- Save the contract as a PDF
Don’t know what to put in your contract? I have templates you can use here.
Step 2: Upload your contract to HelloSign
- Log into or sign up for HelloSign.
- Under “Sign Documents”, choose “Me and Others”.
- Click “Add File” and upload your contract.
- Under “Who Needs to Sign” make sure your name and email address are listed.
- Add your client’s name and email address.
- Click “Prepare Doc for Signing”.
Step 3: Prepare the contract for signing
- Add a signature box for your client. Under “Assigned To”, choose their name.
- Add a text box for your client. Then add their name to it.
- Add a date box for your client (the date will automatically be added when they sign their contract).
- Add a signature box for your signature. Under “Assigned To”, choose “Me (Now)”.
- Add a text box for your name and add your name.
- Add a date box to add today’s date next to your signature.
- Review your contract and click “Continue”.
Step 4: Send the contract to your client
- Go to the section where it says “Title” and “Message for Signers”.
- The title will be the subject line of the email that your client will receive requesting their signature. Add a subject line.
- Under “Message for Signers” add a friendly message to your client asking them to please sign your contract.
- Click “Request Signature” to send the contract.
- You’ll receive a message when your client signs your contract.
Congrats! Your contract has been signed and you can move on to the next step!
Need help with any of the above steps? My Virtual Assistant Contract Kit includes contract templates, video tutorials, and workbook to help you map out your business policies.