Maybe you’re in a hurry to ditch the your 9-to-5 and find happiness (and money) in becoming a VA. Perhaps you lost your job and you need to make money pronto. Or maybe you have some unexpected expenses come up and you need a side hustle…like, yesterday.
I get quite a few emails from women wanting to start their own VA businesses quickly. Whatever the reason, there are a few ways to get things moving right now so that you can start your VA business as soon as possible.
This article may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through that link, I earn a small referral fee that doesn’t cost you anything.
BUILD YOUR BUSINESS FOUNDATION FIRST
Don’t skip this step! You wouldn’t build a house with the roof first and you shouldn’t build your business by just taking on any ol’ client doing whatever tasks they need done.
At the very least, you need to know the following:
This is the very least you need to have in place before you begin taking on clients. I feel you should have much more, but if you’re desperate and in a hurry, these will get you started.
Once you know who your ideal client is and what type of services you want to offer, you’ll want to create a simple process for onboarding new clients.
The Fastest Way to Start Your Virtual Assistant Business Click To Tweet
CREATE A PROCESS FOR BRINGING ON NEW CLIENTS
You’ll want to have your client intake process mapped out before bringing on your first client. What I mean is, what happens when a client wants to work with you? What’s the process you’ll take them through?
Here’s an example of an onboarding process:
- Prospective client reaches out to you
- You find out what their needs are and if you might be a good fit
- You send them a link to your scheduling software to schedule a 20 min chat (you can use something like Timetrade or Calendly)
- During the chat, you get to know each other and you ask them questions
- If you’re a good fit, you send them your contract and their first invoice (you’ll want a PayPal account to collect money)
- You ask for passwords (you can use LastPass for this)
- You get to work!
REACH OUT TO PEOPLE AND PRACTICE YOUR NEW SERVICES
The fastest way to get started, in my experience, is to reach out to people who could use your help. Let them know what you can help them with and ask if they’d be interested in giving your services a spin for free in exchange for a testimonial if they’re happy with your work.
Offer your services for free? Stay with me here. By offering people a small package, such as 4 hours for free, you’ll actually accomplish a bunch of things at once. You’ll also open the door for money to flow in more quickly than if you’d tried to get paying clients right out of the gate.
This process is called Beta Testing.
Why this works:
- Beta Testing = Fast Marketing. Contacting people directly and offering your services for free is a great way to quickly spread the word about your new business.
- It builds your confidence. If you feel nervous about being a new VA, beta testing gives you a chance to practice your new services and build confidence.
- You’ll get testimonials. Testimonials are the best type of marketing! They provide social proof that you’re offering something valuable, and other potential clients are much more likely to want to work with you.
- Your free client may turn into a paying client. Score!
- Your free client may refer you to others who will end up being paying clients. Referrals are gold! Referrals automatically come with social proof (because someone they know and trust has recommended you) AND you save time because you don’t have to actively do any time-consuming marketing stuff to get those clients!
DON’T FORGET TO CONTINUE BUILDING YOUR BUSINESS FOUNDATION
While you’re working with your beta tester clients you’ll want to continue building a solid foundation for your business. You’ll also want to read about ways to grow your business and continue learning new skills.
So to sum it up, the fastest way to get your VA business started is to set up the basics and jump in!
Want to be a virtual assistant? The Beginner VA Bundle will help you start your business, create your contract, and find clients.