Are you struggling to finish that online program you purchased? Do you want to lose weight, but need some support? Are you lacking the motivation to stay on top of your business goals?
If so, it sounds like you would benefit from an accountability partner.
Take a stroll down memory lane and picture one particular goal you set out to accomplish, but didn’t. Why do you think you fell short of reaching your goal? What was missing?
Sure, determination and persistence are traits that will help you stay the course. But even if you’re gung-ho about something, you’ll eventually need extra support and motivation when the newness wears off.
Having an accountability partner doesn’t mean you’re unmotivated. In fact, it means that you are motivated to make improvements and that you’re serious about reaching your goals.
Hey, life is busy! We can have the best intentions, but it’s human nature to settle into old, comfortable habits if we don’t have someone to keep us accountable for our actions.
You have to have a reliable support system in place.
Currently, I have 2 people who hold me responsible for my actions and help me when I need them.
I have an accountability partner who is also growing her online business and we give email updates every Sunday. We let each other know our accomplishments for the past week and our goals for the coming week. When it’s Saturday evening and I realize I didn’t do what I said I would do, it’s the kick in the pants I need. We even talk on the phone once a month and ask for feedback on any of our ideas or creations.
I also have a health coach who has helped me lose some stubborn pounds, get more active and create new, healthier habits. She has me email or text her to fill her in on how I’m doing and encourages me to reach out if I’m struggling with something (like a major sugar craving). We talk on the phone every other week and discuss anything that came up that needs addressed. She offers solutions to any challenges I’m having instead of letting me sink back into old habits. Trust me when I say that if it wasn’t for her I would have quit by now! (And I’m sooo glad I didn’t because I can finally wear clothes I haven’t been able to wear in years!)
This is why I offer month to month accountability and support. I know how important it is to team up with someone to reach new levels in life and business. One-on-one support is critical for success.
If you’re looking to up your game, I have a few tips on finding the right accountability partner for you:
- Choose your goal THEN choose your accountability partner. You’ll want someone who has similar goals.
- Find someone you can trust so you can share your challenges and know that they’ll keep your discussions private
- Make sure your energies are similar. Do you like someone to gently nudge you along or crack a whip?
- Don’t give up if it doesn’t work out – I tried working with a few accountability partners till I found “the ONE”
- Schedule a day each week where you both check in and list your accomplishments, what you fell short on and your next goals.
- Stick to one partner per goal. You don’t want the daunting task of repeating your progress to more than one person. However, it’s ok if you have a different partner for different goals. Example: a business partner and a health/ fitness partner.
- Look for an accountability partner on Facebook in any of the groups you’re a part of.
- If you can’t find the right partner or need extra support, consider working with me.
2014 is coming to a close. Are there any goals or online programs that you purchased and want to finish? What’s hanging above your head nagging you to complete? Leave a comment below and tell me what you plan to accomplish this coming week to get the ball rolling.