So, you have a business you’re passionate about, but you’re struggling to find the time and energy to devote to it?
This is a common frustration I hear from women who are trying to get their business off the ground while juggling a busy life.
It’s exciting to embark on a new journey and build a business you love, but it’s not always easy.
Having a full-time job, family and obligations can take up a lot of time and energy which means you have less of it to build your business.
I’ve been where you are and I’ve managed to design my life to fit my needs.
In this 4 part series I share how I find time and energy to build my business and how you can too.
Get focused to get stuff done.
First off, you’ll need to figure out what needs done. I know, I know, this in itself is overwhelming. It feels like everything needs done now. How do you pick what’s most important?
On top of that, you’re a one woman show so you wear many hats. This means you have to learn how to do things before you do them, like setting up your newsletter and creating graphics for your website. This takes up even more of your time.
This is where the old school to-do list comes in handy.
But I take it a step further.
You can’t keep everything in your head. It will seem much bigger & more draining than it really is. That’s why you need to break it down.
1. Create a master list. This is a list of everything you need to tackle right now.
2. Pick one task you want to focus on. Pick one that’s most urgent or one you feel really excited about. If everything is urgent, pick one, any one. It’s better than sitting there stressing out about which one to pick & doing nothing.
3. Break it down into easy to digest steps.
4. Do one step at a time till the task is finished.
For example: Say you need to create a sales page on your website for your new offering. Feels a bit daunting, doesn’t it? Don’t fret.
What’s the very first step you need to take? What’s the next? And so on. Write them all down.
This is what that would look like:
1. Write down ideas.
2. Write copy.
3. Create draft on website.
4. Edit, check for misspellings, grammatical errors.
5. Create graphic with name of offering in Pixlr.
6. Upload graphic to sales page.
7. Create “buy now” graphic in Pixlr.
8. Upload “buy now” graphic onto website & grab url.
9. Connect “buy now” url to PayPal.
10. Grab code from PayPal and put on sales page.
11. Make sure “buy now” button works properly.
12. Publish page. Done. Celebrate!
Now you can pick one step at a time, finish it and move onto the next. If you don’t get a chance to complete the whole task you still feel accomplished. (Or so you should, if not, let’s talk!)
Now that you know the steps you need to take, you have a concrete plan of what to do. The next time you have a little free time (maybe instead of turning on the boob tube or while you’re waiting in the car to pick up your kids), you can sit down and work on one step. How great would that feel?
It’s time to take action! Grab a piece of paper and list all the tasks you need to accomplish right now. Then grab one of the tasks and break it down. Remember to break it down into small steps.
Do you need help breaking it down? Let me help you!
Be sure to stay tuned for part 2 of this series next week! Want to make sure you don’t miss it? Sign up for updates below!